Saturday, June 6, 2020

2017 Forgeron Cellars Blacksmith Rouge

Happy Saturday!  It's been quite warm here lately, upper 80s yesterday, but a bit cooler today and headed to the 90s next week!  I figured with the heat I didn't really want to cook inside, so I decided to use my new smoking tool with my gas grill and smoke my dinner tonight.  And what wine to have, I've decided on the 2017 Forgeron Blacksmith Rouge, a Côtes du Rhône style blend of Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre from the Yakima Valley AVA of Washington.  So let's see how this one tastes!

2017 Forgeron Cellars Blacksmith Rouge

The wine is a deep ruby in the glass, perhaps a touch darker than I might have expected.  The nose presents aromas of strawberry, cherry and white pepper spice that hints at a food friendly wine.  The taste is burst of red fruit, cherry, raspberry and currant that transition nicely to some some earthy notes of tar and tobacco midpalate before releasing some white pepper spice at the finish.  The tannins are nicely structured, for the long, smooth and dry finish.

Cornish game hen stuffed with pineapple and thyme, topped with bacon, with roasted potatoes and broccoli

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, it's a classic Rhône style blend that's ideal for everyday drinking.  This wine would pair well with a variety of dishes, from pasta and risotto to lamb chops or classic pear and spinach salad.  Tonight I am taking a somewhat different approach and enjoying this wine with a Cornish game hen stuffed with pineapple, onion and thyme, and topped with bacon, slow smoked along with roasted Yukon gold potatoes and steamed broccoli.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment