Sunday, June 21, 2020

2007 Robinson Family Vineyards Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

Well, this afternoon, I decided to go for a bike ride, and went for a few miles and kept pedaling as the dark clouds and thunder starting picking up as I got closer to home.  I am hopeful that we will see some heavy rain as it's been unusually dry here lately and since my sprinkler valve cracked over the winter and we are still waiting on a replacement, my lawn desperately needs it!  Tonight I've decided that since I totally missed Cellar Saturday this month, I thought I would make up for it by revisiting a Cabernet from a classic Napa Valley vintage, the 2007 Robinson Family Vineyards Estate Cabernet Sauvignon from the Stag's Leap District of Napa Valley.  I first reviewed this wine back in 2014 (which you can see here), so let's see how this wine has developed in the past five and a half years!

20017 Robinson Family Vineyards Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is an inky black at the center, with bright garnet along the edges, classic for a Napa Cabenet.  The nose presents aromas of leather, smoke and a hint of lilac over undertones of black cherry and currant. The taste is remarkably structured, with a rush of ripe black fruit, blackberry, cherry and plum, with undertones of mint, that transition easily to some earthy notes of tar and tobacco midpalate.  The tannins are still quite lively, providing for some nice structure to the long, smooth and very dry finish.

Surf n Turf with prime filet, sea scallops, blistered cherry tomatoes and grilled asparagus

Overall, I would still rate this wine a solid 9, as it's a classic big Napa Cabernet that is holding up well over time.  This wine would pair well with a broad range of red meat, from steak to lamb, pasta with zesty red sauce or even classic summer grilling.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a modified surf and turf, with a rare grilled prime filet mignon with Zahtar seasoning along with some wasabi seared sea scallops, blistered cherry tomatoes and grilled asparagus.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment