Sunday, January 12, 2020

2016 Mark Ryan Little Sister Merlot

Happy Sunday!  I just relaxed today, watched a movie and am getting ready for a mellow Sunday dinner, and since I read about a Washington Merlot Challenge on Twitter, I've decided to get started tonight.  As most of you know, I'm a big fan of Merlot, despite the idiocy of Hollywood movies, so it wasn't exactly an arm twister to get me on board the Merlot challenge train!  Tonight I've opened a bottle of wine I got from a wine club shipment a little over two years ago (my how time flies!), the 2016 Mark Ryan Little Sister Merlot, a 100% Merlot from the Phinney Hill and Red Willow Vineyards in the Columbia Valley AVA of Washington.  So let's see how this wine is shaping up!

2016 Mark Ryan Winery Little Sister Merlot

The wine is a beautiful ruby color in the glass, classic for the varietal.  The nose is an earthy rush of leather, charcoal and graphite with just a hint of violet and a bit of raspberry jam over the top.  The taste is a cool bit of ripe black fruit, blackberry, cherry and a bit of currant that transitions to some notes of dusty limestone and white pepper spice midpalate.  The wine is a bit more tannic than a typical Merlot, which is expressive of Washington state, creating a wonderfully smooth and very dry finish than lingers on the palate.

Tacos!

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's just a lovely expression of the high quality Merlot that's produced in the Columbia Valley.  This wine would pair well with a broad range of casual weekday or weekend dishes, from barbecue and pizza to steaks and pasta.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with some simple beef tacos topped with all the good stuff.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment