Sunday, November 17, 2019

2017 DaMa Winery Tempranillo

Happy Sunday!  I had the best of intentions today, with plans to get some work done, go to the gym, and...well at least I started making dinner!  Tonight I've decided to pair my upcoming feast with a recent wine club selection from DaMa wines, the 2017 Tempranillo, a 100% Tempranillo from the Alder Ridge Vineyard in the Horse Heaven Hills AVA of Washington.  I think the producers in the Columbia Valley are doing some wonderful things with some Spanish varietals like Tempranillo, so I'm excited to see how this one tastes. 

2017 DaMa Tempranillo

The wine is a bright ruby in the glass, somewhat darker at the center than I might have expected.  The nose is a lovely old world breath of fresh air loaded with ripe berry fruit, blackberry, cherry and currant, intermingled with notes of tobacco and dried sage and a hint of leather over the top.  The taste is a refreshing rush of rip fruit up front, cherries, blackberries and strawberries that evoke a bit of sweetness before transitioning on to more rustic notes of green cedar and dark chocolate midpalate.  The tannins are sturdy, providing for a robust yet velvety smooth dry finish.

Barbecued Angus beef back ribs, cole slaw and red skin potato salad

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a lovely example of an old world varietal taking root in the new.  This wine would be ideal for a broad range of dishes, from paella to taco Tuesday, from pizza to steaks.  But tonight, after the snowstorm earlier in the week, I needed a reprise of summer, with some barbecued beef back ribs, red skin potato salad, cole slaw and corn muffins.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment