Wednesday, November 20, 2019

2016 Seven Hills Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Wine Wednesday!  It's been a while since I've posted on Wednesday, so I figured it would be a good idea to open a nice bottle from one of my favorite Washington producers before I head out to my play rehearsal (have I mentioned I'm playing Ebeneezer Scrooge in the Elkhart Civic Theatre production of A Christmas Carol as a radio play?).  Tonight I've opened a bottle of 2016 Seven Hill Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon, a 100% Cabernet sourced from the Seven Hills Vineyard.  So let's see how this one tastes.

2016 Seven Hills Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is an inky black at the center with bright garnet along the edges, just as you'd expect for a nice Cabernet.  The nose presents aromas of leather, oak, balckberry and plum with just a hint of floral notes over the top.  The taste is a rush of black cherry at the outset that envelopes the palate before transitioning to some notes of dark chocolate, cassis and eucalyptus midpalate.  The tannins are velvety, and wonderfully integrated to support the long, voluptuous dry finish.

Swiss steak with roasted garlic mashed potatoes

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's just a marvelously structured, but approachable big red wine.  This wine would pair well with a variety of hearty dishes, from steaks and chops to stews and pastas.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with an old school homestyle favorite comfort food, swiss steak with stewed tomatoes along with some roasted garlic mashed potatoes.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment