Sunday, September 15, 2019

2016 Seven Hills Winery Walla Walla Merlot

Happy Sunday!  I apologize for the long hiatus since my last post, but last week was just insanely busy for me, so perhaps this week I might make up for it.  Tonight I've decided to open up a bottle for Sunday dinner from one of my long-time favorite Walla Walla wineries, Seven Hills and the 2016 Seven Hills Vineyard Merlot, made from Merlot on some of the oldest blocks of the Seven Hills Vineyard in the Walla Walla Valley AVA.  So let's see what this wine has to offer!

2016 Seven Hills Winery Walla Walla Merlot

The color is classic Merlot, with a deep ruby in the glass with a somewhat darker tone at the center.  The nose is a cascade of dusty limestone, cherry and an overlay of soft floral aromas that just exude the high quality of the wine.  The taste is a rush of cherry cola, that transitions to some spicy black pepper notes midpalate, before easing into some notes of kirsch on the finish.  The tannins are nicely structured and well integrated, providing for a wonderfully smooth and very dry finish.

Rare filet mignon with red wine reduction, haricots verts almondine and baked potato

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's a consistent performer and favorite Merlot for me.  This wine would be ideal paired with a broad range of dishes, from summer grill favorites, to hearty pasta to grilled salmon.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a lovely Sunday dinner of a rare grilled filet mignon with a red wine reduction, haricots verts almondine and a baked potato.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment