Saturday, September 7, 2019

2008 Tero Estates Windrow Vineyard Hill Block Cabernet Sauvignon

Well, it's the first Saturday of the month, and that means it's Cellar Saturday!  That glorious time when I raid the cellar for something at least a decade in waiting.  Tonight I've opened a bottle that I bought on one of my many trips to Walla Walla, though I can't be sure which one, perhaps I brought this back from the 2014 trip.  In any case, tonight's wine is the 2008 Tero Estates Cabernet Sauvignon from the Hill Block of the Windrow Vineyard, a historic vineyard in the AVA first planted in 1981, though the Hill Block is relatively new, having been planted in 1998.  I remember buying a few bottles from the Tero/Flying Trout tasting room on the first floor of the Marcus Whitman Hotel and quite enjoyed the wine I tasted (I think this was before their combining with Waters and 21 Grams).  This wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (94%) and Cabernet Franc (6%) for a bit of polish.  So let's see how well this wine has developed over the past decade!

2008 Tero Estates Windrow Vineyard Hill Block Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, just as you might expect from a nice Cabernet.  The nose presents aromas of dusty limestone, with start mineral aromas over mild hints of blackberry, cassis and hints of lavender.  The taste is a complete departure from the stark mineral aromas you just experienced, as it's a rush of ripe, sweet black fruit, blackberry, cherry and plum that transitions beautifully into some notes of mocha, dark chocolate and a bit of pepper on the finish.  The tannins are very well structured, providing ample backbone for the long, smooth and very dry finish that just lingers on the palate.

Jambalaya Pappardelle

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's just a fabulous Walla Walla Cabernet that could pair well with a broad range of dishes.  I would enjoy this wine with steak, but I don't see this a primarily a steak wine, rather it would be wonderful with some lamb with herbs provencale, Copper River salmon or a variety of hearty Italian pastas.  The latter is what I'm enjoying tonight as I've paired this wine with a new concoction of jambalaya pappardelle, which consists of cherry tomatoes with andouille sausage and shrimp and a bit of fresh basil and oregano and fire roasted hatch chiles.  The hit of the spice and pasta with the ripe fruit of this wine is a fabulous combination.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment