Thursday, September 5, 2019

2016 A Moveable Feast Cabernet Sauvignon

What a day!  After working all day I decided to cut the grass before dinner, and of course I hit a rock and now I have to take my mower into the shop to see if there was any permanent damage.  So, I need a good dinner and a nice glass of wine!  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle of Napa Valley Cabernet that I purchased from Wines Till Sold Out, and which will be a future wine club selection, the 2016 A Moveable Feast Cabernet Sauvignon (though I don't think they spelled movable right).  So let's see what this wine has to offer!

2016 A Moveable Feast Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is a deep inky black at the center with bright ruby along the edges, just as you'd expect from a big Cabernet.  The nose is a rather subdued affair, with some notes of leather, smoke, olives and a bit of spice.  The taste is a real departure from what you were expecting based on the aromas, with a rush of ripe cherry and blackberry fruit that transitions seemlessly to some mineral notes midpalate.  The fine grained tannins are well structured and integrated for a lush mouthfeel on the long, smooth and very dry finish.

Rare prime bone-in ribeye, fire roasted hatch chiles and bacon roasted Brussels sprouts

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's a nice new world Cabernet that is easy drinking but doesn't offer a lot of complexity.  Of course it was also a pretty good value at just $18, making it an easy everyday drinker.  This wine would pair well with a variety of dishes, from pasta to steaks to barbecue.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare prime, bone-in ribeye with fire-roasted hatch chiles, some bacon roasted Brussels sprouts and a big baked potato.  Cheers! 

1 comment: