Sunday, June 16, 2019

2014 Crosby Roamann Crosby's Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!  Today I've done a little work and a few chores, but mostly I've been relaxing as the rain pelts the yard.  So, I figured I've earned a nice glass of wine, and tonight I've opened a bottle of wine that a colleague gave me earlier in the year, the 2014 Crosby Roamann Crosby's Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley.  Since I suppose I can't complain too much about a gift bottle, we may as well see what it has to offer!


The wine is an inky black at the center with bright ruby along the edges, just as you'd expect from a Napa Cabernet.  The nose has wonderful fruit bursting forth, with more subdued layers of leather and tar.  The taste is very fruit forward with a rush of candied cherries, blackberry and currant that transitions easily to some notes of cocoa powder midpalate with some white pepper spice on the finish.  The tannins are well structured providing a classic Napa backbone to the long, smooth and very dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's a classic Napa Valley Cabernet, with the refined structured you'd expect from a quality producer.  Like many Napa Cabs, this wine practically begs to be paired with a big steak, so of course it's fortunate this bottle ended up at my house!  I am enjoying this wine tonight with a cowboy ribeye grilled Pittsburgh rare and topped with grilled garlic scapes, some bacon roasted asparagus and a baked potato.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment