Saturday, June 1, 2019

2007 Liberte Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Cellar Saturday!  I don't think I can recall the last time the first of the month fell on a Saturday, so this is a bit of a bonus Cellar Saturday, that magical first Saturday of the month when I raid the cellar looking for something at least a decade in the making.  Tonight I've opened a bottle I likely bought nearly a decade ago, and honestly I bought it because I loved the label, the 2007 Liberte Cabernet Sauvignon, a whimsical Cabernet from Paso Robles.  So let's see what this wine has to offer!


The wine has the classic color of a Cabernet, inky black at the center and bright ruby along the edges.  The nose is chock full of rich, jammy fruit that's quite reminiscent of a Zinfandel, blackberry, candied plum and black cherry intermingled with sandalwood and a bit of spice box.  The taste is remarkably vibrant despite it's maturity, with a rush of ripe fruit, black cherry, blueberry and boysenberry that transitions nicely to some earthy leather and peat, with a nice touch of peppery spice toward the finish.  The tannins are very well structured, providing a lovely foundation for the long, smooth and very dry finish, that is remarkably Bordeaux-esque.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as I think this would stack up well some some prime Napa Cabernets, but as I recall, this wine was a bargain well under $20!  It would pair well with a big steak, casual summer meals such as barbecued ribs, burgers or even grilled trout.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a prime Filet Mignon grilled rare with a big baked potato, and grilled leeks and fresh asparagus (the new crop from Michigan finally came in!).  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment