Sunday, January 15, 2023

2021 Feu Follet Coteaux d'Aix en Provence Rose

Happy Sunday!  It's been a somewhat relaxing day as my cooking was largely completed this morning - more on that in a minute.  And now, for the second time in as many weeks, I've reached back to the wines of summer for an appropriate wine pairing for this evening.  The 2021 Feu Follet Coteaux d'Aix en Provence rose is a blend of Grenache Noir (60%), Cabernet Sauvignon (20%), Carignan (20%) and Syrah (10%), and yes, I know that adds up to 110%, but it's what the label said so I don't have the information to correct the percentages, so we'll go with it (incidentally, this is the first time I've ever encountered a percentage blend that did not add up correctly!).  I bought this wine from Wines Till Sold Out last summer, meaning to enjoy it on the patio, but alas better late than never, so let's see how it's tasting in the winter.

2021 Feu Follet Coteaux d'Aix en Provence rose

The wine is a lovely peach color in the glass, which seemed to be the trend for 2021 roses.  A gentle swirl of the glass reveals aromas of citrus and strawberry, with undertones of lemon and hints of apple over the top.  Take a sip and flavors of melon, apple and peach dance on your tongue before easing into some modest mineral notes midpalate.  The finish is at first crisp, but then it smooths out to a lingering dryness.

Homemade split pea soup with corn bread

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it continues to evolve as you sip, and makes me sad that I didn't enjoy this wine while the patio furniture was still out.  This wine would pair well with a variety of summer fare, from burgers and barbecue, to summer salads and seafood.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with some split pea soup that's been simmering in the crock pot all day, made from the ham bone left over from the Christmas party, the richness of the soup is a perfect foil for this wine.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment