Saturday, January 28, 2023

2020 Eberle Paso Robles Barbera

Happy Saturday!  Today was a day of modest achievement, as I visited with some friends, then went grocery shopping, then came home and started preparing for my taxes, which was quite the adventure (at least is doesn't seem like I'll be writing any large checks in April!).  And now it's time to relax with a bottle of wine as I cook some of what I bought at the store today.  Tonight I've opened a bottle of 2020 Eberle Paso Robles Barbera, which was a Christmas gift from my aunt and uncle, as they are big fans of this winery and Paso Robles wines generally.  This wine is a 100% Barbera from the Bootjack Ranch (35%), Steinbeck (33%) and Partridge (32%) vineyards in Paso Robles.  So, let's see how this wine is tasting!

2020 Eberle Paso Robles Barbera

The wine is a bright garnet color in the glass, with great clarity.  A gentle swirl reveals aromas of blackberry, fig and cherry, with undertones of vanilla bean, dried sage and toasted oak.  A first sip is a rush of ripe fruit, black cherry, plum and blackberry that easily shifts gears toward some oak and black pepper spice midpalate.  The tannins are somewhat subdued, but still provide for a very smooth dry finish than lingers for a minute or more.

Herb crusted roast beef with carrots, celery, onions, sweet potatoes and regular potatoes, with a fresh gravy

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's just a very pleasant drinking wine that would pair well with a range of dishes.  This wine would be ideal with hearty Italian pasta dishes, lamb, venison, or earthy wild mushroom risotto. Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a classic Sunday dinner a day early, herb crusted roast beef with carrots, celery, onions, sweet potatoes and regular potatoes, along with a fresh gravy I made with the broth. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment