Friday, August 6, 2021

2020 Helix Rose of Sangiovese

Happy Friday!  It's been a busy week, and I am more than ready for the weekend, so tonight I've opened a nice summer rose, since the weather has been heating up again.  It's also Washington Wine Month (though I confess, reading on Twitter, it seems as though Washington Wine Month happens at least three or four times a year), so I've opened a bottle that I brought back from my vacation to Walla Walla last month.  The 2020 Helix Rose of Sangiovese is a wonderful rose wine based on Sangiovese sourced from the Royal Slope AVA of Washington (the Royal Slope was designated as an AVA in 2020, with a south facing slope that's much cooler than the Wahluke Slope to the south).  So, let's see what this wine has to offer!

2020 Helix Rose of Sangiovese

The wine is a lovely, light peach color in the glass, in line with many recent Washington roses.  A swirl of the glass reveals aromas of peach, citrus and green grass that seem like a breath of summer to be inhaled.  Take a sip and you're greeted by a rush of crisp summer flavors, bright citrus, wild berry and vibrant herbs with hints of melon and apple.  The tannins are wonderfully integrated for a delightfully crisp, dry finish that lingers on the palate more than you might expect from a rose.

Herb crusted wild cod loins, farro and steamed asparagus

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a wonderful summer sipping wine that I will enjoy on the patio later this evening.  This wine would pair well with summer salads, lettuce wraps of Thai chicken, and of course seafood.  Tonight I am taking the classic approach and enjoying this wine with some herb crusted wild cod loins, along with some farro and steamed asparagus.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment