Saturday, August 7, 2021

2010 Syzygy Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Well, it's the first Saturday of August, which means it's Cellar Saturday, that magical day when I raid the cellar for something developing for at least a decade.  Tonight, I've opened a bottle of wine that's over a decade old, though it's only been in my cellar for a month!  On my recent Walla Walla vacation, I had the chance to meet with Syzygy proprietor and wine maker, Zach Brettler at his tasting room by the airport on my way out of town, and I was impressed with the wines.  He had taken a bit if a hiatus from winemaking for nearly a decade and has been selling some of the last of his 2009 and 2010 vintages, which are a treat.  The 2010 Syzygy Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is a 100% Cabernet from the Conner Lee, Sagemoor and Klipsun Vineyards grown during a year that featured a solar eclipse.  So, let's see what this wine has to offer.

2010 Syzygy Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, with garnet along the edges.  The nose practically screams mature cabernet that is just hitting its stride, with aromas of leather, oak and earthy peat intermingled with notes of blackberry, cherry and plum that brings back memories of so many barrel rooms.  Take a sip and you are greeted by unexpected bright fruit flavors, strawberry, black cherry and plum that dance around your palate before giving way to some lovely black pepper spice midpalate.  The tannins are nicely structured and expertly integrated for the velvety smooth, dry finish that lingers on for what seems like several minutes.

Rare grilled New York strip with some sweet corn and tomatoes

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's a wonderfully built Cabernet that is just singing right now.  This wine would pair well with a variety of hearty dishes, from pasta and steaks, to lamb and smoked brisket.  Tonight, I am taking a page from my summer growing up, as it was very common when it was hot (with no central air conditioning) and very humid in the Midwest that my mom would routinely serve corn and tomatoes for dinner during the summer.  It was simple, but delicious with sweet corn and tomatoes in season.  Given that I did a lot of work around my uncle's house today and I seemed to have yet to stop sweating, I am enjoying some corn on the cob and sliced tomatoes for dinner, though unlike my mom, I've decided to add a rare grilled New York strip as well.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment