Sunday, August 22, 2021

2016 Pambrun Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Sunday!  I admit I've taken the opportunity to relax a bit today, outside of doing a bit of laundry and grocery shopping, I've just taken it easy today.  Which of course means that I have extra energy for cooking and enjoying a bit of wine.  Tonight I've opened a bottle from a winery that I have an indirect ownership interest in, as it's owned by Willamette Valley Vineyards, which I bought and brought home from Walla Walla on my vacation a little over a month ago (wow time flies!).  This wine is full Cabernet sourced from two of my favorite vineyards, the Seven Hills Vineyard and the Summit View Vineyard in the Walla Walla Vallet.  The 2016 Pambrun Cabernet Sauvignon is crafted by Jon Meuret, the founder of Maison Bleue, who I've been a fan of since I visited back in 2014 or 2015.  It also has a connection to Jim Bernau, founder of Willamette Valley Vineyards, who traces his ancestors back to the early settlements of eastern Washingron back in the 1830s, so this is a nice crossroads of serendipity in wine!  So, let's see what this wine has to offer!

2016 Pambrun Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine has a classic Cabernet looks, with deep inky black and bright ruby along the edges.  A quick swirl releases aromas of blackberry, black cherry and cassis with undertones of minerality, including graphite, earthy loam and hints of dried herbs.  Take a sip and and a rush of black fruit envelops the palate with black cherry, blackberry and black currant that takes a bow and surrenders the stage to some anise and smoky flavors with hints of black pepper spice.  The tannins are supple and well structured, providing an ideal backdrop for the velvety smooth, lingering dry finish.

Rare grilled ribeye, along with grilled leeks an peppers, along with some Italian green beans from the farmers market and some Boursin cream pasta with sun dried tomatoes

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's just perfect for sipping on the patio (though maybe not on a hot and humid night like tonight) or enjoying with a hearty dinner.  This wine would pair well with lamb, hearty roast beef, or an earthy mushroom risotto.  Tonight I have taken the direct approach and am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled ribeye, along with grilled leeks an peppers, along with some Italian green beans from the farmers market and some Boursin cream pasta with sun dried tomatoes.  Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment