Saturday, January 2, 2021

2003 Helix Columbia Valley Merlot

Well, it's Cellar Saturday!  That magical first Saturday of a new month where I open a bottle that's been maturing in the cellar for a decade or more.  This month, I've opened a bottle that has only been in my cellar for a month.  You see, Reininger Winery recently had a virtual "mystery" tasting featuring some older vintages of Helix Merlot, and I tasted the 2005 that night (you can see that post from a coupler weeks ago here) and tonight I've opened the oldest of the four bottled, the 2003 Helix Columbia Valley Merlot.  So let's see how this one is tasting!

2003 Helix Columbia Valley Merlot

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, with a hint of garnet along the edges, as you might expect from a Merlot of this maturity.  Aromas of prune, cherry and fig intermingling with earthy graphite and lavender notes greet you as you prepare to take a sip.  The taste is somewhat of a departure from the nose, with a rush of tart cherry and blackberry compote that transitions easily to some earthy notes of toasted oak and tobacco midpalate.  The tannins are somewhat subdued, but well integrated for a long, smooth dry finish that hits you with a bit of acidity at the end.


Ham and bean soup with cornbread

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a lovely Merlot that has survived the test of time.  This wine may have a few more years left to drink, but I'm happy I opened this now.  This would be a great winter wine, with great fruit and a hefty presence in the glass and it would pair well with a lot of winter comfort food, from soups and stews, to chili and pasta.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with some ham and bean soup that I made in the slow cooker today from last weekend's ham bone along with some corn muffins.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment