Sunday, January 17, 2021

2019 Caves du Fournalet Côtes du Rhône

Happy Sunday!  Tonight I am going to prove the inherent wisdom of P. T. Barnum, as the wine I've selected this evening was one that I bought completely based on the packaging, the only question remaining is whether I was a sucker!  So, let's try to answer that question.  Tonight I've opened a bottle of 2019 Caves du Fournalet Côtes du Rhône which I recently picked up at Trader Joe's mainly because it has a very interesting bottle, and after all, it was only $7, so what could go wrong?  I like Rhône varietals, so this could be a hidden gem!

2019 Caves du Fournalet Côtes du Rhône

The wine is a lighter body, with great clarity and a bright ruby color as you might expect from a Rhône wine.  The nose is rather subdued, with some aromas of blueberry, tart cherry and hints of tarragon.  The taste is very fruit forward with notes of sweet cherry, blueberry and cassis, that transitions to some notes of peppery spice midpalate.  The tannins are soft, but still supportive of a nice, dry finish that's a bit abrupt.

Grilled lamb loin chops, mashed potatoes and grilled purple cauliflower

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7, it's nothing spectacular, but it was certainly a value and a classic pizza and burger wine, as you wouldn't feel bad opening this one for a casual dinner.  This wine would also pair well with some lamb and pasta dishes too, which comes in handy since I'm enjoying this wine tonight with some grilled lamb loin chops along with mashed potatoes and grilled purple cauliflower.  So, was I a sucker?  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment