Sunday, January 3, 2021

2018 Daou Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Sunday!  It's been a long couple weeks off, and tomorrow I am back to work, so why not enjoy one last nice bottle of wine before then?  Tonight I've opened a bottle that I recently purchased from Trader Joe's, the 2018 Daou Cabernet Sauvignon from Paso Robles.  I've not tried any of the wines from Daou before, but I have heard some good things, so I couldn't pass up buying a bottle when I saw it at Trader Joes.  So, let's see how this wine tastes.  

2018 Daou Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is a deep, inky black at the center, with bright ruby along the edges, just as you might expect from a big Cabernet.  A cascade of black currant, cherry and plum invigorates your nose with the first whiff, along with a bit of leather and some light notes of lavender.  The taste is classic Cabernet, but not the big, punch in the face Cabernet you'd expect from Napa, but this one is delightfully fruit forward, with blackberry and currant throughout, with a bit of black pepper spice and eucalyptus midpalate.  The tannins are smooth and very well integrated for a lingering dry finish, with a good bit of acidity at the end.

Rare grilled prime bone-in ribeye with bacon roasted Brussels sprouts

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a really nice example of the varietal that highlights the interesting fruit and terroir of Paso Robles.  This wine was also a good value at just $25 at Trader Joe's.  This wine would pair well with a lot of hearty, classic dishes, from steaks and chops to prime rib and hearty pasta dishes.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a prime, bone in ribeye grilled rare, along with a baked potato and some bacon roasted Brussels sprouts.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment