Friday, November 27, 2020

2017 Woodward Canyon Artist Series Cabernet Sauvignon

 Well Happy Black Friday!  I must admit, although I'm not much of a black Friday shopper, I did go to Costco today, but mainly to get a wreath and some fresh garland to do my traditional day after Thanksgiving outdoor Christmas decorating.  Mission accomplished!  So now it's time to have a nice bottle of wine and a dinner that does not involve turkey of any sort.  Tonight's wine is the latest vintage of a wine that I've enjoyed for quite a while, the 2017 Woodward Canyon Artist Series Cabernet Sauvignon.  This vintage is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (85%), Cabernet Franc (13%), Petit Verdot (1%) and Merlot (1%).  So let's see how this vintage is shaping up!

2017 Woodward Canyon Artist Series Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass and the nose presents aromas of leather and green grass, before opening up to some lovely fruit notes of blackberry, currant and cherry amid warm spice notes.  The taste is a rush of ripe black fruit, blackberry, cherry and plum that wash over your taste buds before transitioning to some notes of cedar, warm caramel and cocoa midpalate.  The tannins are expertly structured presenting a lovely base for the long, and velvety dry finish that seems to linger for a minute or more.

Rare grilled tomahawk ribeye with bacon roasted Brussels sprouts

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's easily lived up to its namesake as one of the premier Cabernets of Washington state.  This wine would pair well with a variety of hearty dishes, from braised short ribs to hearty pastas to big steaks.  Of course I'm in luck as I happened to receive a shipment of steaks from Wild Fork Foods (I highly recommend them, see their site: https://wildforkfoods.com/) on Wednesday, so tonight I'm enjoying this wine with a big honkin' tomahawk ribeye grilled rare with some bacon roasted Brussels sprouts.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment