Sunday, November 1, 2020

2012 Barons Red Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon

 Ok, let me start by saying by all accounts I should be asleep on the couch right now, after spending so much of the weekend battling the leaves!  Yes, it's ,y annual battle, but today was the epitome of the battle as not only was I battling the leaves, I was also battling wind and our first snow of the season!  But alas, I think we are now past the halfway point, so it's all downhill from here (famous last words!) and now it's time for a nice glass of wine.  Tonight I've opened a bottle I recently bought from Wines Till Sold Out, the 2012 Barons Red Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon from Washington.  This wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvigon (90%) and Merlot (10%) from the Hedges Estate Vineyard in the Red Moutain AVA.  So let's see how this wine is shaping up!

2012 Barons Red Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is a deep inky black at the center with bright ruby along the edges, suggesting a big wine.  The nose is classic big Washington red wine, suggestive of a Bordeaux style, with some black cherry, and plum edging toward prune, vanilla bean and suggestive spices.  The taste is a rush of black cherry and cola, that transitions to some notes of mint, dark chocolate and spicebox midpalate.  The tannins are round, but I have to admit the finish left me wanting, as it was just a bit flat.

Rare grilled Angus T-bone on a bed of grilled leeks and bacon roasted Brussels sprouts

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, it's probably approaching it's peak but still a nice easy drinking Cabernet.  This wine would pair well with a lot of heaty fall and winter dishes, from beef stew, to the venison chili I had last night.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a classic Sunday dinner of a rare grilled Angus T-bone on a bed of grilled leeks, some bacon roasted Brussels sprouts and a big baked potato with sour cream and scallions.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment