Sunday, November 15, 2020

2017 True Grit Reserve Petite Sirah

Well, anyone that knows me is well aware that I am a big fan of the Duke, John Wayne, which of course means that I could never pass up a wine with "True Grit" on the label.  So as I was browsing the wines at Costco this weekend I had to pick up a bottle of 2017 True Grit Reserve Petite Sirah from Parducci Wines.  This Mendocino County California wine represents what is truly interesting to me of the California wine scene outside of Napa - interesting varietals with interesting terroir!  So let's see what this wine has to offer!

2017 True Grit Reserve Petite Sirah

The wine is a deep, inky black at the center, with bright ruby along the edges, characteristic of a nice Petite Sirah (which as I always say, seems to be neither petite nor Syrah).  The nose presents a cascade of aromas, blackberry, cherry amid wild game notes that exude a sense of pioneering wonder.  The taste is an absolute rush of cool black fruit, blackberry, blueberry and plum that envelop the palate before transitioning to some notes of dark chocolate and while pepper spice midpalate.  The tannins are very chewy, providing nice backbone for the long, smooth and very dry finish that lingers on the palate.

Rare grilled Angus porterhouse with grilled leeks and asparagus

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's just a pleasure to sip and would give any big Cabernet a run for it's money when it comes to food pairing.  This wine was also a terrific value at just under $14 at Costco (I think I might need to get some more!).  As for pairing, this wine practically begs for steak, but would also do well with hearty pastas, braised short ribs of hearty chili on a cold fall evening.  Tonight I can oblige with a rare grille petit Angus porterhouse with grilled leeks and asparagus.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment