Friday, December 27, 2019

2016 Seven Hills Ciel du Cheval

Well, this is officially my 1,000th wine blog post, which is quite an accomplishment considering I started this thing on a lark nearly nine years ago!  And it's come a long way (please don't go searching for those early posts, it's quite embarrassing!) as we now routinely feature lots of photos and additional color on the wines and foods I'm enjoying.  And now, for such a momentous occasion, I've decided to open a bottle from one of my favorite Walla Walla producers, the 2016 Seven Hills Ciel du Cheval, a classic Walla Walla Bordeaux style blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot from the Red Mountain AVA of Washington.  So let's give it a shot!

2016 Seven Hills Ciel du Cheval

The wine is a deep inky black at the center, a tribute to the heavy hand of Cabernet in the blend, with bright ruby along the edges.  The nose is a delightful array of earthy aromas, leather, graphite and oak under-girding a virtual basket of ripe black fruit aromas, cherry, plum and currant.  The taste is cool rush of fruit, blackberry, plum, currant and a hint of cherry cola that washes over your palate before transitioning to some subdued mineral notes and peppery spice midpalate.  The tannins are somewhat gritty, but I suspect they might mellow a bit with a few years in the cellar, in support of the long, smooth dry finish.

Hooray for tacos!

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's still young but clearly not as good as some of the better vintages like the 20092010, or 2014 but I still enjoyed it.  As for pairings, this wine paints with a fairly broad brush, and I could enjoy it with anything from steaks and chops to pizza or pasta.  But tonight, I am enjoying this wine with some classic tacos!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment