Tuesday, December 10, 2019

2017 Pepper Bridge Merlot

Well, the holiday season is progressing nicely, recently the city came by and picked up the last of the leaves, so it seems autumn is quickly fading as I prepare for my annual hunting trip to get my Christmas trees this weekend.  So as a little respite, I've opened a bottle of a recent wine club shipment from Pepper Bridge Winery, the 2017 Merlot.  This wine is a blend of Merlot (76%), Cabernet Franc (12%) and Malbec (12%) from the Seven Hills, Pepper Bridge and Octave Vineyards in the Walla Walla Valley AVA of Washington.  So let's see how this most recent vintage is shaping up!

2017 Pepper Bridge Merlot

The wine is a deep garnet color in the glass, just as one might expect from a quality Merlot with a bit of Malbec in the blend.  The nose is a rather elegant affair, with some light floral notes over ripe plum and graphite with a touch of green cedar over the top.  The taste is a rush of black cherry that gives way to some spice notes of clove and cinnamon before easing into vanilla bean and a hint of white pepper.  The tannins are expertly structured, providing the base for a long, velvety dry finish that lingers on the palate.

Citrus stuffed rainbow trout with porcini mushroom farrow and bacon roasted Brussels sprouts

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's drinking wonderfully now, but is sure to improve with a bit of time in the cellar (I confess, I got three bottles and this is my second, so I'm not so sure on my ability to age this one!).  This wine would seem to be very food friendly and versatile, as I could enjoy this one with anything from steaks to pizza to tacos and barbecue, but tonight I've decided to take the road less traveled.  I am enjoying this wine with a citrus stuffed oven roasted rainbow trout, with thyme, blood orange and Meyer lemon along with some porcini mushroom farro and bacon roasted Brussels sprouts.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment