Tuesday, December 31, 2019

2014 Mark Ryan Lost Soul Syrah

Happy New Year!  Okay, maybe I jumped the gun by a few hours, but given my track record over the past few New Year's Eves, I will be lucky if I'm not asleep by 10 pm tonight, so enjoy my well wishes a bit early.  Tonight I've decided to make a special dinner since I was lucky enough to go to Chicago and bring back some wonderful meat and fish from Eataly, and given my dinner tonight is fish, I decided to go with a nice Syrah, the 2014 Mark Ryan Lost Soul Syrah, a 100% Syrah from the Red Willow Vineyard in the Yakima Valley of Washington.  So let's see how the last wine of the decade is tasting!

2014 Mark Ryan Lost Soul Syrah

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, with nice clarity.  The nose is a veritable party of ripe black fruit aromas dancing with violets, smoke, with an occasional romp of black pepper spice.  The taste is classic Syrah, with a rush of lush black fruit, blackberry, currant and cassis, that bows to some earthy flavors of tar, and pipe tobacco before a wave of peppery spice comes at you toward the finish.  The tannins are polished and well structured, providing for an elegant and very dry finish that lingers for a minute or more.

Oven roasted snapper with Meyer lemon sauce, mushroom risotto and oven roasted purple carrots

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's a classic representation of the varietal, and perhaps the nicest Syrah I've tasted this year.  This wine would pair well with a variety of dishes, from steaks and chops, to venison and short ribs or earthy mushroom dishes.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with an oven roasted filet of red snapper with a Meyer lemon sauce I read about on epicurious.com (get the simple recipe here), along with some oven roasted purple carrots and some mushroom risotto.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment