Saturday, March 30, 2019

2015 DaMa Wines Walla Walla Cabernet Franc

Well, I have to admit I'm still not at 100% in recovering from my eye surgery, so my blog has suffered a bit.  Hopefully we can remedy that with some good wine and food, and tonight it's a bottle of 2015 DaMa Wines Walla Walla Cabernet Franc, which I received a couple months ago in my wine club shipment.  This is DaMa's first ever 100% Cabernet Franc with fruit sourced from the XL Vineyard (a fantastic vineyard for this varietal).  I let the wine breathe for a couple hours, so hopefully it's opened up a bit, so let's see how the premier tastes!


The wine is like a star in a beautiful garnet gown strolling down the red carpet at a premier, perfumed with hints or rose petals, blackberry and cherry with but a whiff of pipe tobacco as she passes.  At once, she tastes of earthy commonality and airy sophistication, a swift taste of ripe berry that evaporates only to be imbued with lofty floral notes of violets and star anise that bring you to a point of exhilaration.  And once again, you are brought back to earth, with smooth and vibrantly structured tannins that support the long, smooth dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's just a star for the varietal and the vineyard (the Reininger Cabernet Franc I fell in love with at last year's Reveal auction was also from the XL Vineyard).  This wine would pair best with warm friends enjoying a relaxing evening, but if you'd like to know what I'm eating tonight, I'm enjoying this wine with an alder planked steelhead filet with some couscous tossed with some golden beets that I oven roasted with some fat from some Bill-E's small batch artisan bacon from Alabama and some steamed sugar snap peas.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment