Friday, March 15, 2019

2015 Manu Propria Ex Animo

First let me say it’s been a couple weeks since I last posted and that’s because I had eye surgery to address a vitreous hemorrhage.  Now this eye surgery prevented me from looking at screens, or reading or watching television, or doing a lot of the normal everyday things that we're used to, including publishing blog posts. So with that out of the way, I am back officially or at least partially since I’m limited to about two hours a day of screen time in total, in 30-minute increments. So tonight I’ve decided to open a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon from a new producer that came to me from Mark Ryan Winery. the 2015 Manu Propria Ex Animo Cabernet Sauvignon. This wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (89%), Merlot (7%) and Cabernet Franc (4%) from the Red Willow vineyard in the Yakima Valley AVA of Washington. So let’s see how this wine tastes.


The wine has a deep inky purple color in the glass, classic for Cabernet. The wine has wonderful earthy aromas of smoke, leather and peat that beckon you to take a sip. The taste is a rush of warm ripe fruit blackberries, blueberries and cherries at the outset that gives way to some mellow earthy notes midpalate.  The tannins are wonderfully structured and well integrated providing nice foundation for a smooth, warm and exceptionally dry finish.


Overall I would wake this wine a solid 9 as it seems to be a really great example of the quality Cabernet that’s coming from Yakima valley AVA.  This wine would pair exceptionally well with a variety of big beefy dinners like a nice big steak or roast lamb chops or even some wonderful Italian dishes. Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with a big thick prime sirloin steak grilled rare, along with some bacon roasted asparagus and a big baked potato with sour cream and scallions.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment