Saturday, December 15, 2018

2016 Pepper Bridge Winery Walla Walla Merlot

Happy Saturday!  It's been a crazy busy month for me, and I've barely had time to enjoy a glass of wine much less blog about it!  But hopefully I will have a little breathing room before the year is over, I just got back from New York and got my Christmas trees today, so it seems like there are some things coming together for the holidays.  One side effect of being so busy is that I haven't had much time to drink all the wine that's been arriving almost daily it seems from all the wine clubs I belong to, and such is the case for tonight's wine, the 2016 Pepper Bridge Winery Walla Walla Merlot.  This wine is a blend of Merlot (78%), Cabernet Franc (14%) and Malbec (8%) from the Seven Hills, Pepper Bridge and Octave Vineyards in the Walla Walla Valley.  So let's see how this wine is tasting!


The wine is a beautiful, deep garnet color in the glass.  The nose presents inviting aromas of cherry, raspberry and leather with subtle mineral undertones of graphite and smoke.  The taste is wonderfully fruit forward, with a rush of blueberry, cherry and currant - all somewhat candied fruit - that transitions smoothly to some notes of mocha and tea leaves midpalate.  The tannins are nicely structured providing a great foundation for the velvety smooth and very dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, though I am convinced this one is ideal for aging and I'd be happy to revisit this wine after a half decade or so in the cellar.  This wine would pair well with lamb, steak, or a variety of hearty, earthy dishes.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled New York strip, grilled asparagus and a big old baked potato with butter, sour cream and scallions.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment