Sunday, December 2, 2018

2012 Keiser Wine Company Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Sunday!  I have to admit, I've been quite busy lately, and that's been cutting down my time for both food and wine but soon enough it will be over and I can get back to at least a bit of a routine.  Have I mentioned that I am in a play?  Yes, my acting debut is coming at the Elkhart Civic Theatre as we put on "It's a Wonderful Life" as a radio play.  It's been so much fun, but it's been eating into my evening wine and food time!  At any rate, tonight I've opened a bottle of wine I recently purchased from Wines Till Sold Out, the 2012 Keiser Wine Company Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.  It was relatively inexpensive (maybe $20?) and I figured how can you go wrong with a Napa Cabernet from that vintage?  So let's see how this one tastes!


The wine is a lovely bright ruby color in the glass, with great clarity, somewhat lighter than the typical big, bold Cabernets of Napa.  The nose is an elegant combination of leather, cardamom, tobacco and smoke, with an undercurrent of rich fruit.  The taste is rich, with a rush of ripe blackberry, plum and currant that envelop your palate before transitioning to some wonderful herb and mineral notes midpalate.  The tannins are well structured and positioned perfectly to provide nice backbone to support the long, supple and very dry finish that seems to linger for a minute or more.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a wonderful example of a nice Napa Cabernet that's not build to beat you in the face with a mallet.  This wine is still begging to be paired with a big piece of meat, and lucky for me I have some thick cut prime sirloin from Costco that's punching way beyond its weight class.  So rare prime sirloin, grilled asparagus and a big baked potato, what else could you ask for a perfect Sunday dinner?  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment