Sunday, December 23, 2018

2014 Reininger Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Christmas Eve Eve!  It's been another insanely busy week but I feel like I'm finally able to keep my head above water.  I had a nice get together yesterday for the holidays and tonight I am just aiming to relax and maybe watch a movie and of course enjoy a nice glass of wine with dinner.  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle of wine I just picked up from the UPS office, from one of my favorite Walla Walla winemakers, Chuck Reininger!  The 2014 Reininger Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (87%), Cabernet Franc (5%), Petit Verdot (5%) and Malbec (3%) from the Pepper Bridge and XL Vineyards in the Walla Walla Valley.  So let's see how this wine will treat me and my Sunday dinner!


The wine is a deep inky purple at the center, with bright ruby along the edges, classic for a nice Cabernet.  The nose presents aromas of black currant, prune, dusty limestone, with a bit of cedar underneath.  The taste is more of an old world style cabernet, with a but of ripe black fruit at the outset, currant, plum and cherry that folds into some wonderful mineral notes of graphite and some tobacco midpalate.  The chewy tannins are a perfect foil to the multiple layers of fruit and minerality in this wine, setting up the wonderfully smooth, and lengthy dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's really a new favorite for the 2014 vintage of Cabernet from Walla Walla.  This wine would be perfect with steak or prime rib (might need to bring a bottle to Christmas dinner!) but tonight I am going old school Pacific Northwest, where it's perfectly acceptable to pair Cabernet with salmon, after all it is the steak of the sea!  In fact tonight I am enjoying this wine with some Coho salmon steaks, whole wheat couscous and some sugar snap peas.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment