Sunday, August 26, 2018

2016 Corvelia Red Wine

Happy Sunday!  I have to admit it was entirely too hot an humid to do anything outdoors today, so I spent most of the afternoon doing laundry and watching movies, so now it's time to enjoy a nice bottle of wine.  Tonight I've opened a bottle of 2016 Corvelia Red Wine, a red wine blend from Paso Robles that I picked up at Trader Joe's last week.  I am a sucker for packaging, so I freely admit I bought this one because it had a cool bottle and label, so let's see how the wine actually tastes!


Although I have no idea what grapes are in this blend, the wine has a deep, purple and ruby color that's clearly reminiscent of a nice Zinfandel or Cabernet Sauvignon, which wouldn't be surprising for a wine from Paso Robles.  The nose presents aromas of leather, anise, blackberry and cherry.  The taste is a wonderful rush of fruit up front, an interesting combination of ripe blackberry and plum intermingled with tart cherry, which transitions to some spice notes of white pepper and cherry cola midpalate.  The tannins are youthful but well built, providing a nice base for a long, smooth and very dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, it's a very pleasant, easy drinking wine that was also a nice value for just $11.  This wine would pair well with a broad range of dishes, from steaks and chops to pizza, tacos and barbecue.  But tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled petite Angus porterhouse over a bed of grilled leeks along with grilled asparagus and mashed potatoes.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment