Saturday, August 11, 2018

2015 Chateau Grand Lacaze Medoc

Happy Saturday!  I have to admit I didn't get very much done today, I had so many wonderful plans to work in the yard and get some chores done around the house, and then I decided to sleep in and the rest is history (or anti-history since it never happened!).  But at least I'm now ready for dinner and a wonderful bottle of wine, and tonight's treat is a bottle of Bordeaux that I recently picked up at Costco.  I will admit when I first went to France in 1995, I really took a liking to Haut Medoc, but I suppose in a pinch, a regular Medoc will do, so tonight it's the 2015 Chateau Grand Lacaze Medoc, a wonderful left bank blend of Merlot (50%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (50%).  So let's see how this one tastes!


The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, with nice clarity.  The nose is so Bordeaux-y, with wonderful earthy notes of leather, basalt, ripe red fruit, and the faintest hint of funk.  The taste is wonderfully earthy, with a rush of earthy peat intermingled with red currant, cherry and plum that transitions nicely to some notes of graphite and olive tapenade midpalate.  The tannins are still youthful, but nicely structured for the long, smooth and very dry finish, just as you'd expect from a nice Bordeaux.



Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, it's a pleasant drinking table wine today that will likely improve a bit with a few years in the cellar.  This wine was also a terrific value at less than $10, making it an ideal everyday wine.  This wine would pair well with a variety of dishes from grilled fish to roast pork tenderloin to steak.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with an appetizer of stuffed artichoke along with a rare grilled prime New York strip, sweet potato hash and steamed sugar snap peas.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment