Wednesday, August 22, 2018

2014 Michel-Schlumberger Artist Series Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Wine Wednesday!  Tonight I've decided to open a nice bottle of 2014 vintage Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon that I think I bought a while ago from Wines Till Sold Out.  The 2014 Michel-Schlumberger Artist Series Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is the second vintage I've tried of this wine (you can see my review of the 2013 vintage here) and I was quite impressed with the first one, so let's see what this one has to offer!


The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, with great clarity, very old world in style for a Cabernet.  The nose presents aromas of leather, blackberry, cherry and spice, overlaid with some subtle floral notes.  The taste is a bit more elevated than your typical, in your face Napa Cabernet, this one has a rush of ripe black fruit that's not overpowering, overlaid with lingering floral and spice notes of white pepper and smoke.  The tannins are remarkably well structured, providing a nice framework for the long, smooth and very dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, just as I did the 2013 vintage.  Unlike many Napa Cabernets, this wine isn't just for big steaks, I could see this pairing well with a variety of dishes, from barbecue to burgers to seafood.  But of course, it's me, so I'm enjoying this wine tonight with a rare grilled chuck eye steak over a bed of grilled leeks with grilled asparagus and potato puree with sour cream and chives.  Such a great dinner and wonderful wine, I feel like I need to recline for a bit, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment