Tuesday, January 23, 2018

2015 Mercer Canyons Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Tuesday!  I've been a long day and I feel a cold coming on, so I may be somewhat curt in this post.  In any case I'm sure some wine will help with my mood, and tonight I've opened a bottle that I found at my local market last week, the 2015 Mercer Canyons Cabernet Sauvignon.  I wasn't familiar with Mercer,  but learned that they operate their vineyards and winery in the Horse Heaven Hills in the Columbia Valley AVA in Washington State.  This vintage of Cabernet under their Mercer Canyons brand is composed of Cabernet Sauvignon (76%), Merlot (17%) and Syrah (7%).  So let's see how this one tastes!


The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, just as you'd expect for a Cabernet.  The nose is full of black cherry, mint and green grass, somewhat different than your average Cabernet.  The taste is a full rush of black cherry and plum up front that transitions nicely to hints of vanilla and dried herbs midpalate.  The finish is somewhat warm and subdued, with soft tannins, but still pleasant and very dry.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, it's a very pleasant drinking everyday Cabernet, and a wonderful value as I found this at my local Meijer for just $11!  This wine would be great with a lot of simple weekday dinners, like pizza, tacos (hello taco Tuesday!) or burgers, but you know me, tonight I'm enjoying this wine with a rare grilled tagliata steak, oven roasted potatoes and some steamed broccoli.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment