Wednesday, January 31, 2018

2012 Seven Hills Klipsun Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Wine Wednesday!  You'll have to forgive me for not having many posts over the past week as I've been fighting a cold, and who wants to review wines when their sinuses are acting up?  In any case, I'm feeling better now, as evidenced by my continuing lack of organization (though I did recently buy a filing cabinet and organized my home office!) but recently I was looking through wine and found a cache of 2012 Seven Hills Klipsun Cabernet Sauvignon!  Keep in mind that I've already reviewed the 2013 vintage (you can see that here) and the 2014 vintage (you can see that here), but somehow skipped the 2012!  So at long last (and it's been a while as I recall bringing this back on my Walla Walla RV road trip back in 2015!) here is my review of the 2012 vintage!


The wine is a wonderfully dark and brooding color in the glass, classic for a Red Mountain Cabernet.  The nose presents lovely notes of mint, blackberry and cassis over earthy notes of leather and barnyard.  The taste is just beautiful, with a rush of ripe black fruit, blackberry, plum and cherry that transitions effortlessly to some notes of vanilla bean and white pepper spice midpalate.  The finish is that of a wine just coming into its own, with wonderfully integrated but chalky tannins providing the backbone for a voluptuous and smooth, but very dry finish that seems to last a minute or more.

I have to admit, I think this is my favorite vintage of the three Klipsun Cabernets I've tried from Seven Hills, so I'd rate this one a solid 9.5.  I could see myself enjoying this wine with a variety of hard cheeses, prime steaks and chops, or even a lovely Pacific salmon, but tonight it a Wednesday of what's been a busy week, so I'm enjoying this beautiful wine with some take out sushi!  Spicy tuna roll, dynamite roll and a wasabi crunch roll, all playing wonderfully with the dark fruit and earthy goodness of this wine!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment