Sunday, January 21, 2018

2015 Justin Cabernet Sauvignon

When I first visited Napa Valley on the Napa Valley Wine Train back in 2015, I met some folks on the train that shared a bottle of Justin Isosceles with me and I've been a fan of Justin ever since.  It was just about two years ago that I reviewed the 2013 vintage of the Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon (you can see that post here) and tonight I've opened a bottle of the 2015 vintage that I recently picked up at my local Meijer store.  So let's see how this one is shaping up.


The wine is a deep, ruby color in the glass, classic Cabernet.  The nose is a rush of leather, black stone fruit and a hint of mint that just call out to you to take a sip.  The taste is a rush of ripe black fruit, plum, cherry and currant with undertones of smoke and dried flowers that transitions to some mild notes of pipe tobacco and a hint of black pepper.  The tannins are firm and well integrated, creating a wonderfully long, smooth dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's just a very pleasant drinking Cabernet and a terrific value at just $22.  This wine would pair well with steaks, braised short ribs or pasta, but tonight I am enjoying this wine with a pan seared veal loin chop along with some roasted baby bok choy and a baked potato with sour cream and chives.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment