Sunday, July 15, 2018

2014 Honoro Vera Garnacha

Well, today I've decided to open a bottle that's been sitting in my kitchen for a while, I can't recall where I got it but I put it on my counter behind the coffee and it's sat there ever since, the 2014 Honoro Vera Garnacha from the Catalayud region of Spain, which is well known for its Grenache.  And of course another advantage of Spanish wines is that like this wine they are usually good values for the price.  So let's see how this one tastes!


The wine is a deep garnet color in the glass, a bit darker than some Grenache wines from France.  The nose presents aromas of ripe cherry, plum and currant amid spicy notes of white pepper and earthy green grass.  The taste is classic Spanish Garnacha, with a rush of ripe, lush fruit, blackberry, cherry and currant that transition effortlessly to some notes of fresh herbs and white pepper midpalate.  The tannins are well integrated, providing a wonderfully velvety, long and very dry finish that beckons you to have another sip.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's just a classic Grenache from this region of Spain.  This is also a very food friendly wine, perfect for summer as it would complement a broad range of patio dinners, from burgers and steaks to barbecued ribs and fresh caprese salad.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a classic dinner of chorizo and bean tacos with all the trimmings, the wonderful fruit in the wine really plays well against the spice of the chorizo.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment