Sunday, July 29, 2018

2012 Robert Mondavi Napa Valley Merlot

So yesterday I was at my local supermarket, looking at the wine section for anything interesting (and yes, only I can define interesting in my wine tastes!) and I happened upon a section of Robert Mondavi Napa Valley Merlot.  Having been to the winery in Napa, I've developed an appreciation for this mega producer, but what caught my eye was one lonely bottle of the 2012 vintage in an entire display of 2014 vintage.  Naturally, knowing what a spectacular vintage 2012 was, I had to grab this bottle and bring it home.  So let's see how it tastes!


The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, classic for Merlot.  The nose is a lovely combination of blackberry, cherry and currant intermingled with dried spices, oak and leather.  It almost has an old-world sort of nose, like a nice Bordeaux or even a super-Tuscan.  The taste is a rush of black fruit up front that transitions to some notes of cherry cola, mocha and tobacco midpalate.  The tannins are still fairly tight, providing a lot of backbone for the long, smooth and very dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a lovely example of a Napa Merlot that's just starting to come into its own.  This wine would be excellent with some hearty pasta dishes, steaks and chops or even summer barbecue.  Tonight I'm enjoying it with a rare grilled porterhouse over a bed of grilled leeks and broccoli rabe.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment