Friday, March 9, 2018

2009 Château Tour des Termes Saint-Estephe Cru Bourgeois

Well, tonight is a bit of a retread, but one that I think is worthwhile as I first reviewed the 2009 Château Tour des Termes Saint-Estephe when it was just released back in 2012 (you can see that review here) and back then I mentioned I'd put the remaining bottles in the cellar and see how they matured.  Well tonight I was looking for a nice Bordeaux to enjoy with dinner and I happened upon a bottle and I thought, why not see how the last few years have treated this blend of Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon from a classic vintage?


The wine is a lovely deep purple color in the glass, with bright ruby along the edges, belying the Cabernet in the blend.  The nose is a rich display of ripe black fruit with distinctly floral overtones that present an earthy richness so characteristic of a nice left bank Bordeaux.  The taste is refreshingly fruit forward with a burst of black cherry, plum and strawberry that transitions to some spicy pepper notes midpalate.  The tannins have definitely matured in the past 5 years or so, resulting in complex structure on the long, smooth and very dry finish.

Last time I rated this wine based on it's youth, but today I'd rate this wine a solid 8.5 as it's just starting to hit its stride.  This wine would be ideal with a variety of roasts and chop, rich classic French dishes and seafood.  Tonight I'm enjoying this wine with a more subdued dinner of oven roasted chicken breast served with mashed potatoes and some grilled asparagus.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment