Friday, September 16, 2016

2011 Charles Krug 150th Anniversary Napa Valley Merlot

Happy Friday!  It's been a busy week at work and about 6:00 pm I was at the office and developed a splitting headache, so I figured it was time to head home and open a bottle of wine.  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle I found at my local wine store from a winery I had a chance to visit last Fall, the 2011 Charles Krug Napa Valley Merlot, which is the 150th anniversary vintage from the winery's founding in 1861.  You know I love me some good Merlot so let's see what this one has to offer!


The wine is a deep inky purple in the glass with bright ruby along the edges.  The nose presents aromas of leather, boysenberry, dark chocolate and mocha, ideal for a good Merlot.  The taste is quite nice, with a rush of ripe black fruit up front, blackberry, plum and cherry that transitions gradually to some lovely notes of tobacco and some mineral notes midpalate.  The finish is lovely, with some well developed tannins supporting the long, smooth and very dry finish that lingers nicely.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a really nice example of the varietal from a less hyped, but I would argue still a quality vintage.  This is a perfect steak wine, which is ironic since I am enjoying this wine with a nice rare grilled filet mignon with grilled Brussels sprouts and a baked potato.  Here's to the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment