Sunday, September 11, 2016

2012 Sottano Malbec

Happy Sunday!  It's been a busy weekend, and now at long last, at the very end I have a chance to relax with a glass of wine.  Tonight I've decided to open a nice bottle I bought at a local wine store, the 2012 Sottano Malbec from Mendoza Argentina.  I'm not a big Malbec fan, but this one was inexpensive and from Argentina so let's see what it has to offer!


The wine is a nice inky black color at the center with bright ruby along the edges, just as you'd expect for the varietal.  The nose presents aromas of leather, blackberry and mint with some earthy undertones.  The taste is rather subdued with some modest fruit notes at the outset that transition to some mineral notes midpalate.  The black fruit makes a bit of a comeback at the finish, but it's still rather lackluster overall.

I'd rate this wine a 7, as it was a descent value at just $12, but even at that price point I think there are some better Argentine wines out there.  This would be easy to pair though, as like many Malbecs, this would be a good red meat wine, and tonight I'm pairing it with a rare grilled New York strip, along with some grilled leeks and Brussels sprouts and a baked potato.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment