Wednesday, November 18, 2015

2013 Seven Hills Walla Walla Merlot

Ok, I'll admit it, I've been on a bit of a Washington wine kick lately, and tonight I've continued the trend, opening up a bottle of 2013 Seven Hills Walla Walla Valley Merlot.  I just got this bottle about a week or so ago with my latest wine club shipment, so why shouldn't I enjoy it?  Particularly since I love Merlot and Washington wines!  This particular Merlot is a blended with Cabernet Sauvignon (3%) and Cabernet Franc (3%) just to take the edge off.


This wine is a beautiful deep ruby color in the glass, with very nice clarity.  The nose presents aromas of ripe fruit, cherry, blackberry, raspberry and plum, overlaid with a bit of tea and leather.  The taste is wonderful, with a rush of ripe fruit, blackberry, cherry and plum that transition effortlessly to some cherry cola and dark chocolate notes midpalate.  The finish is wonderfully smooth with some rather mellow tannins supporting a long, voluptuous and very dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, it's really a beautiful young Walla Walla Merlot that's drinking very well now, but could easily be put down for a decade to mature.  This wine would be so ideal for a variety of hearty fall dishes, but tonight I am going with the old standby, a bacon-wrapped filet grilled rare with a baked potato and steamed asparagus.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment