Sunday, November 29, 2015

2012 Franciscan Estate Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Sunday!  The Sunday after a big holiday like Thanksgiving always feels weird to me, especially since it's the start of one of the busiest times of the year.  In any case, it's time for dinner and a glass of wine.  Tonight I've opened a bottle of 2012 Franciscan Estate Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, as I'm in the mood for a steak, what could be better?  This particular wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (85%), Merlot (9%), Malbec (3%), Petit Verdot (2%) and Cabernet Franc (1%).


The color is a deep inky purple in the glass, with bright ruby near the edges.  The nose presents aromas of leather, blackberry, tar and plum, classic big Cabernet.  The taste is quite nice, with some subdued fruit up front, plum, blackberry and cassis, that transitions nicely to some earthy notes of leather, tobacco and dusty limestone midpalate.  The tannins are still quite youthful, providing a big backbone to the long, smooth and bone dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, it's a very nice Napa Cabernet and it was a great value, as I found this one on sale at my local supermarket for just $20.  As hinted to above, tonight I am enjoying this wine with a big rare grilled Angus ribeye along with cheesy potatoes and steamed Brussels sprouts.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment