Sunday, April 28, 2013

2009 Powers Coyote Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon

Another day, another bottle of wine to try!  Tonight I am going back to one of my favorite regions, Washington State, specifically, the Wahluke Slope for the 2009 Powers Coyote Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon!  Now from what I've heard, the 2008 vintage of this wine was outstanding, but this one takes a bit more TLC to bring out the great aromas and tastes that the last vintage just seemed to bring out effortlessly.  So, for this wine, I poured it through my aerator, and then let it breathe a bit, and though this wine could probably use a couple more years in the bottle, it sure did open up very nicely!


The color of this wine is a deep, opaque purple color that eases into some bright ruby along the edges.  The nose is a lovely combination of cedar, dark chocolate, anise and fresh ground black pepper.  The taste is a veritable explosion of ripe black fruit up front, ripe plum, blackberries and cherry, but not nearly as sweet as some of the more "jammy" wines you might have had.  The rich fruit transitions smoothly to some nice minerality midpalate, along with wonderful notes of dark chocolate and Asian spice.  The finish is just stunning, as the well structured tannins support a rich dry finish that seems to go on for a minute or more.

Overall, I would rate this one a solid 8.5, as it might not be as matured as the 2008 vintage was out of the gate, this is a super nice wine at a terrific price, as I bought this one at my local wine merchant, G.B. Russo's yesterday for only $15!  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled Angus porterhouse, some grilled asparagus with olive oil, and a baked potato with all the trimmings, yum!  And yeah, I know this is my third steak in a row, but give me a break, they were on sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment