Sunday, July 26, 2026

2020 Dablon Vineyards Tempranillo Tannat

Happy Sunday!  It's been a whirlwind of a day, went to church this morning, then to the airport to see a B-29 bomber, and then off to the Elkhart County Fair to see all the animals and tractors and now that I have a horrible sunburn, I am ready for a relaxing glass of wine and dinner.  Tonight, I've opened a bottle that a friend gave me a few weeks ago.  The 2020 Dablon Vineyards Tempranillo Tannat is a blend of Tempranillo (90%) and Tannat (10%) from the Dablon Estate Vineyard in Baroda, Michigan. I will admit, I am generally not a fan of Michigan red wines, though I have found a few gems over the years, let's see with this one is a gem.

2020 Dablon Vineyards Tempranillo Tannat

The wine is a lighter bodied, ruby color in the glass and the nose presents aromas of green grass, dried herbs and cherry cola.  The first sip is a rather subdued combination of blackberry and tart cherry with quite a bit of acidity, which transitions to some dried herbs and smoke midpalalte.  The tannins are so subdued as to be unnoticable, yet the finish is tart and dry, but brief.

Crispy skin Scottish black pearl salmon, steamed rice and Italian green beans

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7.5, it's interesting but typifies the challenge Michigan growers have with red varietals, though the lighter complexion would make this a plesant drinking summer red.  This wine would pair well with a range of summer fare, from barbecued ribs to burgers and brats.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with a crispy skin Scottish black pearl salmon, steamed rice and some steamed Italian green beans.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment