Sunday, October 8, 2023

2016 L'Esprit De Chevalier Pessac-Léognan

Happy Sunday!  It's been a rainy afternoon, so I decided to dispense with the yard work and focus on some indoor projects, like replacing the backing on a new painting I bought at the thrift store, fixing my live trap to catch the second groundhog that roamed into my yard on Friday and other assorted household chores.  So, now I'm ready for a nice dinner and a glass or few of wine.  Tonight, I've opened a magnum of 2016 L'Esprit De Chevalier Pessac-Léognan that I bought a month or two ago during the Wines Till Sold Out magnum event.  This wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (45%), Merlot (45%) and Petit Verdot (10%), making this a classic Bordeaux blend.  I'm going to need some of this wine for the red wine demi that I'm making for my main course, so if there's enough extra for another glass or two that seems fine to me!  So, let's see how this wine is tasting.

2016 L'Esprit De Chevalier Pessac-Léognan

The wine is an inky black at the center with just a touch of ruby along the edges.  The nose is a lovely presentation of leather, ripe black fruit and hints of anise and pepper.  Take a sip and you're greeted with a rush of cool black fruit that's a bit tart at first, before transitioning into some blackberry and cherry sweetness.  The tannins are refined and well structured, which works well with the spicy dry finish with just a hint of acidity at the end. 

Herb crusted rack of lamb with red wine demi, potato puree and grilled asparagus

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's just a great example of the old world styling and craft of Bordeaux.  This wine would pair well with a range of dishes, from grilled steaks to braised short ribs, hearty beef stew to wild mushroom risotto.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with a Sunday dinner of herb crusted rack of lamb with red wine demi, potato puree and some grilled asparagus.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment