Friday, February 17, 2023

2017 Casalforno Chianti Classico Riserva

Happy Friday!  I am doing a quick dinner and glass of wine before my rehearsal this evening for the production I am in at the Elkhart Civic Theatre.  So, tonight I've opened a bottle of 2017 Casalforno Chianti Classico Riserva that I recently bought from Wines Till Sold Out,  I reviewed the 2010 Vintage several years ago, so let's see how this wine is tasting!

2017 Casalforno Chianti Classico Riserva

The wine is a bright ruby color in the glass with nice clarity, just as you might expect from a nice Sangiovese based wine.  A gentle swirl reveals aromas of leather, oak, cherry and eucalyptus that bring the earthy notes of Tuscany to your mind.  Take a sip and you're treated to a rush of ripe cherry fruit that evolves to some earthy notes of tar, tobacco and oak, before returning full circle to some notes of cassis on the finish.  The tannins are subdued, providing for a very pleasant, smooth dry finish.

Linguine carbonara

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's a very pleasant drinking Chianti, and a value at just $13!  This wine would pair well with a variety of Italian dishes, from risotto to hearty pasta, cured salami to classic hard cheeses.  Tonight I am enjoying this with a classic linguine carbonara based on a new recipe I tried tonight.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment