Saturday, February 11, 2023

2019 Château de l'Annonciation Saint-Émilion Grand Cru

Happy Saturday!  I spent a good portion of the day practicing lines for the upcoming play that I'm a part of, then I went to the thrift store and found a new addition to the thrift store art collection for only $7.50 and now I am ready to enjoy dinner with a nice bottle of wine.  Tonight, I've opened a bottle of 2019 Château de l'Annonciation Saint-Émilion Grand Cru that I recently bought from Wines Till Sold Out.  I'm  a big Bordeaux fan, so I couldn't resist this wine, which is a blend of Merlot (80%), Cabernet Sauvignon (15%) and Cabernet Franc (5%).  So, let's see how it's tasting!

2019 Château de l'Annonciation Saint-Émilion Grand Cru

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, just as you might expect from the heavy Merlot concentration.  A swirl of the glass reveals aromas of lavender, black cherry and toasted oak.  Take a sip and you're greeted with a rush of black fruit, cherry, blackberry and plum, which transition easily to some earthy notes of oak, vanilla bean and graphite midpalate.  The tannins are in your face, yet still provide for a smooth but exceptionally dry finish that lingers for a minute or more.

Rare grilled New York strip, with blistered cherry tomatoes and asparagus with hollandaise

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's still developing, but will likely improve a bit with some time in the cellar.  This wine was also a terrific value at just $18.  This would pair well with steaks, roasted game, braised short ribs, or hearty cheeses.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled New York strip, with some blistered cherry tomatoes and asparagus with hollandaise.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment