Thursday, September 1, 2022

2017 Spring Valley Vineyard Frederick Red Wine

Happy Thursday!  This day started on several sour notes as my coffee maker decided to cease functioning half way through the brew cycle, so I started the day with only a half a pot of coffee.  Then when I pulled out of the garage at 7:30 to go buy a new one, I realized I had a screw in my back tire and it was completely flat.  Add changing a tire into the mix and this was set to be an awful day until now!  It's supper time and I have a nice dinner coming and a nice bottle of wine opened.  The 2017 Spring Valley Vineyard Frederick Red Wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (93%), Syrah (5%) and Malbec (2%) all from the Spring Valley Vineyard in the Walla Walla AVA of Washtington.  So, let's see how this wine is making up for my sad start!

2017 Spring Valley Vineyard Frederick Red Wine

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass with bright garnet along the edges, just as you might expect from such a Cabernet heavy blend.  Take a whiff and you are immersed in strawberry and raspberry aromas, with a bit of floral notes and some spicy undercurrents.  One sip and you are thrown into wonderland, bright red fruit intermingled with and acidity that has you first thinking of sweet tarts and then as you progress, you find yourself surrounded by wooded forest notes of cedar and peat, before the sturdy tannins usher in the very tight dry finish.

Prime, dry-aged bone-in ribeye grilled rare with grilled leeks and hatch chiles, wild mushroom farro and asparagus with hollandaise

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it has the earthy Bordeaux-esque character that I so love about Walla Walla wines.  This wine would pair well with a range of hearty dishes, from braised short ribs to hearty venison stew, thick steaks or mushroom risotto.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with a prime, dry-aged bone-in ribeye grilled rare along with some grilled leeks and hatch chiles, wild mushroom farro and asparagus with hollandaise.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment