Sunday, September 4, 2022

2017 Mark Ryan "The Vincent" Columbia Valley Red Wine

Happy Sunday!  So, today I had the second flat tire in a week, though this time it was on my wheel barrow, so not nearly as time consuming to fix.  After an afternoon of mowing, yard work and getting a new inner tube for a tire, it's now time to relax with a nice glass of wine as I prepare my Sunday dinner.  Tonight I've opened a bottle of Mark Ryan's second label, the 2017 Board Track Racer "The Vincent" Columbia Valley red wine.  I found this wine a my local wine store on clearance, and it was the last bottle so I took home a bargain!  The 2017 vintage is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (60%), Merlot (25%) and Malbec (15%) from the Columbia Valley of Washington.  Let's see how this one is tasting!

2017 Mark Ryan "The Vincent" Columbia Valley Red Wine

The wine is a deep ruby in the glass, as you might expect from a heavy hand of these Bordeaux varietals.  Take a whiff and you're greeted by deep prune, with hints of cedar and earthy peat, with a bit of spice under the surface.  On your first sip you experience a rush of rich black fruit, blackberry, currant and cherry that wash over your palate before easing into some peppery spice notes midpalate.  The tannins are nicely structured, providing for a round mouthfeel and a very smooth dry finish that lingers for a minute or more.

Rare grilled Angus New York strip with grilled hatch chiles, with roasted root vegetables and steamed green beans

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a very pleasant wine for under $20.  This wine would pair well with a range of Labor Day dishes, from burgers and brats to barbecued ribs and brisket.  Tonight, however, I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled Angus New York strip with grilled hatch chiles, along with some roasted root vegetables and steamed green beans.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment