Sunday, May 15, 2022

2020 Helix SoRho

Happy Sunday!  I have been hard at work in the yard all afternoon, having made an impulse buy of 11 flats of flowers at my local Menard's store, so I spend the afternoon planting impatients in the bed by my dining room and garage, before finishing the afternoon mowing just ahead of the rain! So, now I am ready for a nice glass of wine with my Sunday dinner and tonight I've opened a bottle of a recent wine club shipment from Reininger Winery.  The 220 Helix SoRho is a blend of Mourvèdre (47%), Grenache (28%) and Cinsault (25%) from the Stone Tree Vineyard in the Wahluke Slope AVA of Washington.  So, let's see how this vintage is tasting!

2020 Helix SoRho

The wine is a deep ruby in the glass, with nice clarity as you might expect from Rhone style blend.   A swirl of the glass reveals an intriguing combination of aromas of cedar, cherry and raspberry with undertones of light floral notes.  The first sip presents a rush of ripe red fruit, cherry, raspberry and currant that dance on your tongue, with a hint of tartness and bitterness triggering thoughts of cranberry.  The tannins are mellow, offering a gentle back beat as the fruit sings in harmony on the wonderfully long, dry finish.

Garlic and olive oil marinated grilled pork tenderloin, steamed broccoli and grilled corn on the cob

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a pleasant drinking southern Rhone style blend that's ideal for summer sipping and enjoying with a broad range of dishes.  This wine would pair well with barbecue, lamb, pizza or tacos, almost universal for mid-week dinners!  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with my Sunday dinner of garlic and olive oil marinated grilled pork tenderloin along with some steamed broccoli and grilled corn on the cob.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment